Robert Howard Forman, Senior Consultant
Co-author of The Solicitor's Handbook 2019, ranked in Chambers and Partners 2020, achieving 'star' status for a fifth successive year, and recommended by Legal 500 2020, in Professional Discipline, Robert is an experienced Professional Discipline solicitor, with particular expertise in the field of Solicitors’ Professional Discipline & Regulation.
Chambers 2020 - ‘Robert Forman has forged an outstanding reputation at the forefront of the legal services regulatory sector, due to his excellent track record defending legal professionals in SDT proceedings, as well as SRA investigations and appeals to the Administrative Court. A client notes: "He's knowledgeable and wise to the subtler nuances and practices of the SRA, allowing him to calmly and assuredly guide us through the tactical maze."
Legal 500 2020 - 'The firm handles disciplinary cases with great skill and success. It is exceptionally knowledgeable, committed and experienced, and the lawyers are diplomatic and creative problem solvers.' 'Robert Forman is an excellent lawyer', and in previous editions, ‘Robert Forman … is noted for his ‘superb acumen and industry knowledge’, ‘excellent communication skills’ and ‘tailored advice’.
Robert provides advice, support and representation for firms, individual solicitors and other legal professionals under regulatory investigation or facing allegations of professional misconduct. Robert also provides regulatory compliance advice to firms and individuals, including COLPs and COFAs. Robert also has experience acting for barristers in proceedings brought by the Bar Standards Board, legal executives in CILEx Regulation investigations, and taxation professionals (CIOT/ATT) appearing before the Taxation Disciplinary Board tribunal.
Robert also has experience of delivering seminars on Solicitors Regulation, Professional Discipline & Professional Indemnity Insurance for The Law Society and for MBL Seminars.
Robert has sat on the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal's Users Group and was appointed by the SRA as external advisor to the SRA Compensation Arrangements Review 2012-2014 to give insight from a Defence Practitioner’s perspective. He is a member of the Lawyers Defence Group, the Solicitors Assistance Scheme and the Association of Regulatory & Disciplinary Lawyers. His fields of practice include:
- Representation in SRA investigations
- Defence at the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal
- Advice on and Appeals against Interventions
- Advice on the SRA Standards & Regulations 2019
- Practising Certificate issues
- Admission to the Roll and the Suitability Test
- Professional indemnity insurance coverage disputes
- Appeals to the Administrative Court
- Advising firms, COLPs and COFAs on Compliance
- Voluntary Practice Closures
- SRA Authorisation
- Representations against the publication of regulatory decisions
- Legal Ombudsman complaints
Robert Qualified as a solicitor 1997.
Some of Robert’s cases :
- SDT : SRA v D  Successfully defending a high profile solicitor in a 5 day hearing at the Tribunal hearing allegations of dishonesty, acting without integrity and recklessness in connection with an alleged dubious investment scheme
- SDT : SRA v F  Agreed Outcome reached with the SRA - agreed fine - high profile solicitor alleged to have acted without integrity in relation to a dubious investment scheme
- Magic Circle - Internal investigation re alleged fraud by partner B  - Investigation concluded with no futher action
- Bar Standards Board : Re W  - No further action following investigation of complaint by Inner Temple
- Admin Ct : Solicitors Regulation Authority v MacGregor  EWHC 3058 (Admin) - Acting for the Respondent in an SRA appeal against SDT sanction
- Admin Ct : Solicitors Regulation Authority v Naylor  EWHC 3058 (Admin) - Acting for the Respondent in an SRA appeal against SDT sanction
- Court of Appeal : Solicitors Regulation Authority v Kadurugamuwa  - Successfully resisted SRA application for permission to appeal
- SDT : SRA v A [Apr 2018] - Representing Principal of defunct firm Asons
- SDT : SRA v N [Jan 2018] - Solicitor with dishonesty finding allowed to continue in practice
- SDT : SRA v S [Jan 2018] – Agreed Outcome reached - withdrawing allegations of dishonesty against solicitor following psychiatric evidence
- SDT : SRA v M [Dec 2017] - SDT - Solicitor with dishonesty finding allowed to continue in practice
- Admin Ct : Solicitors Regulation Authority v Kadurugamuwa  EWHC 2245 (Admin) – Successfully defended SRA appeal against SDT sanction
Co-author of The Solicitor's Handbook 2019, contributor to previous editions.
You can contact Robert at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org