Why seek advice?
We receive instructions from a wide variety of law firms, from top 100 firms through to sole practitioners. Their reasons for seeking advice are various but include :-
- To support the firm’s compliance team - how to apply the rules;
- As a form of insurance, whether the decision to be made is difficult or not;
- For an opinion whether the facts are likely to be treated by the SRA as giving rise to a breach of rules; and
- To ascertain what can be achieved within the rules, and whether a rule can be waived.
As an SRA regulated law firm ourselves, advice you obtain from us is legally privileged.
So what do we advise on?
- Compliance Officer obligations (COLPs and COFAs);
- Compliance with the SRA Codes of Conduct 2019;
- SRA Accounts Rules issues;
- Compliance with other aspects of the SRA Standards and Regulations 2019 (and its predecessor rules);
- Statutory requirements for law firms;
- Separate/unregulated business and freelance rules;
- Start-ups, orderly closures, disposals, and the transfer of clients;
- Alternative Business Structures;
- Client facing issues including dealing with LeO and client complaints;
- Referral (and referral fee) arrangements; and
- Other aspects of practice, e.g. solicitors’ undertakings.
What form does that advice take?
- Written opinions;
- Telephone support;
- Conference at or away from your firm;
- Compliance audit; and
- Tailored on site training.
Why choose us?
Regulatory compliance is a practical rather than theoretical exercise. It’s hard to give that practical advice unless you have the experience of knowing what happens when things go wrong.
Our experience in the professional discipline arena allows us to understand how to interpret rules and achieve compliance.
We’re in practice too, and understand that our legally privileged advice needs to be to the point, and cost effective. Our many years’ experience enables us to achieve just that.
- We are instructed by large nationwide firms requiring support for their COLP and compliance and risk teams on a rolling basis. We provide support, sometimes one off calls, or e-mails, sometimes providing long-term support on projects and investigations.
- We were instructed by Legal Counsel of a top 20 firm of chartered accountants, which had established a separate SRA regulated arm. We provided clear advice on the steps required to achieve compliance with all regulations.
- We were recently engaged by a senior partner at a magic circle firm to advise on a significant internal matter. Our advice led the firm and partner resolving matters to their mutual satisfaction.
- We provide written opinions on the successor practice rules sought in the matter of acquisitions and mergers.
- We are instructed by sole practitioners requiring ongoing compliance and practice support.